By Al Giovetti
Zork Grand Inquisitor Walkthrough by Mark Henauer
A Short Explanation
- Zork Grand Inquisitor (ZGI) is a semi-non-linear-or-maybe-somehow-linear Adventure. Therefore this walkthrough is not THE ONLY solution. Feel free to be creative and not to follow the suggested path, you'll figure out yourself if you did well or not (believe me there's a lot more than being totemized. Actually a highly painful and bad thing. On a scale of 1 to 10 it probably blalblablablabla....).
- After having arrived in Port Frozzle, first thing to do, is turning up the speaker volume at the fish shop (by the way this switch also works as an in-built regulator of the game's voice volume). Having the Inquisition blabbing at a high volume, the way is free to take the Mead Light.
- Right next to the fish shop is a hoist kind of thing. Hanging the plastic (from the Mead Light) on the hook and pulling the lever soon puts a Magic Lamp at the Adventurers feet (after a short struggle with the most wanted fish in the Universe). Since the Lamp seems to be broken, it's time for Jack's lamp repair shop. Knocking with the Lamp at the door grants us entry, a Cigar and the temporary loss of the lamp.
- In a dark street corner is a barrel and several Frobozz Electric improved speaking puppets of the Grand Inquisitor. They are highly flammable, a thing proven correct, when ignited with the cigar. The barrel on the left provides a good hideout for the things to come.
- Soon action hero and lonely fireman Jack arrives and is arrested. Needless to say that he left the door of his shop wide open. After taking the Magic Lamp, it's time to leave Port Frozzle.
- Behind the starting point lays the monastery and the quite impressive Frobozz Electric Totemization Counter. We (actually it's whoever, but we sound pretty cool) take the Rope and head for the Great Underground Empire (GUE) that is actually hidden below the wheel (right of the starting point). Attaching the rope to the wheel, the way down is not a problem anymore. Arrived at the bottom, we take the Token out of the bucket and enter the GUE after casting REZROV on the door.
The Crossroads (1)
- Left of the entrance to the crossroads lies the Griff Totem. To the right is the first test in GUE logic. After opening the emergency kit, we take the Hammer, close the glass door and do as told. After having broken the glass with the hammer, the Sword and the Map is ours. On the left of the crossroads is the Dungeon Masters Layer, the entrance to the Z-Underground and the GUE Tech.
GUE Tech (1)
- Unlocking the door with REZROV, we enter and soon face three moving-clicking-whatever puzzles. While the first two are rather easy, the third one isn't logic at all. The picture that opens the entrance to the University is a mixture of the three different window pictures (Forest top, Outlook middle and Sewer bottom).
- Clicking on the window let us enter the famous GUE Tech. Casting IGRAM on the word Infinite on the hallway inscription reveals a finite corridor.
- Leaving the GUE Tech through the door, puts the Adventurer in front of the remains of the University. With the shovel, the KENDALL spell can be dug up.
The Subway (1)
- The token is used to enter the GUE Subway system. The plan on the wall looks less confusing after casting KENDALL. We click on the Hades button and take off with the original, break less GUE subway (only hurts a little). Arrived more or less healthy, it's time to make money. The skeleton has a Scratch Card he (or she) doesn't need anymore. After having won 500 Zorkmids, we head back to the Dungeon Master's Lair.
Dungeon Master's Lair (1)
- After cutting the bush blocking the entrance, we enter the lair, open the garden house and take the Shovel, and the THROCK spell. Since there's nothing else to do at the moment, the next station is the infamous Flood Control Dam #3 (FCD) (accessible only by the Subway).
Flood Control Dam #3
- At the FCD station we get one of these unbelievably useful Envelope Opener in a return for a zorkmid and with the use of THROCK some tasty moss. In the control room the GOLGATEM spell can be found in a book. At the controls, REZROV takes care of screwing up the highly sophisticated opening and closing pattern of the four dam doors. After having flooded the whole GUE we go back to the GUE Tech.
GUE Tech (2)
- Behind the fountain are three different food and drink machines. After plugging the Frobozz Electric Vacuum Sucker into the candy machine to the right, we take use of our zorkmids and buy a Zork Rock candy bar( #8). Unfortunately it's stuck short thereafter. But after turning on the Vacuum Sucker, the candy bar surrenders. We take the Zork Rock and buy just out of fun (well, it has a deeper meaning) item #11. Unfortunately it's not even getting stuck (who cares).
- At the machine to the left, the right access reveals the OBIDIL spell that can't be used at the moment.
- Since it's time for a little bit of action, we place the Zork Rock in the middle machine and buy a Classic Blam. Moving quickly is vital now. In the room behind the corridor are twelve lockers. The bio-detergent bomb has to be put into the second locker in the middle row.
- In the blown up locker we find the Dungeon Master's ID Card, in the locker at the bottom (by the way its #11), lays a Z-Pill. The ID opens -in the same room- the door to the Spell Lab.
The Spell Lab (1)
- The first thing to do is sending the invisible, purple Frobozz Alarm Beast to hell (or whatever) by cutting the bridge ropes with the sword. Casting GOLGATEM builds another bridge.
- When inserting the OBIDIL scroll into the spell-checker, the spell comes useable now. But since this is a Spell Lab, let's do some other things. We take a Blank Sheet from the box and start to manufacture our first (and last) handmade spell. The Sheet has to be entered into the machines in the spell lab in exactly this order:
- Origination, Modification, Replication, Interpretation, Transmogrification and the Spell Checker. The result is the BEBURTT spell. Next stop is the right end of the Crossroads.
The Crossroads (2)
- Casting IGRAM and afterwards BEBURTT, reveals a Spell-scroll. After taking it, it's time to return to the Dungeon Master's Lair.
The Dungeon Master's Lair (2)
- At the entrance we send the Snap Dragon to the realms of eternal dreams and remove him with the help of our sword. Behind the house casting THROCK on the green plant has the desired effect. We place the snap dragon on the plant and make him jump with the use of the hammer. The result is a pitifully torn Scroll Part.
- Armored with all the necessary stuff, the Adventurer is ready to face the Dungeon Master's house security system. Placing the cigar in the ashtray to the left, pouring the Mead Light into the right cup(?) and stretching it with the help of the spell-scroll, will knock out the bio-door.
- Inside the house we gather the Fudge, Cup, Jar and the Ledo Block. In the sleeping room lays the second part of the scroll. Having both parts of the scroll we enter the mirror and assemble them and get the SNAVIG spell. Back in the living room, looking through the shades reveal the walking castle, which we attract with the help of OBIDIL. Inside the NARWILE spell can be found.
- With the Ledo block, the entrance to the beehive can be blocked and with the help of the most loyal sword found around the GUE, the hive is cut apart. After taking the Honey we are finally set to mix the Dungeon Master's special brew. Placing the moss, cup, Ledo, fudge, honey and the jar on the mixing tree, results in a tasty drink and the WASTARD spell.
- The scene is set for the first time travel. In the bedroom closet is the first Time Tunnel. After casting NARWILE, the tunnels open up and Griff can be send through it with the WASTARD spell.
The White House (1)
- Behind the house lays the GOFLE spell. Unfortunately it can't be just taken over to the present time. Fortunately the post is able to do wonders (well, it's a fairy tale after all). Opening the letter box expose a envelope addressed to hell. We put the spell inside the envelope, close the mail box, put the flag up and leave the white house. Back at the Dungeon Master's Lair, it's time to go to hell.
- The phone puzzle is one of the most nerving and funniest one in the game. To solve it, just listen to the friendly woman at the other end (a clue: the answer to the last question is #5).
- After having paid Acheron, the Envelope can be taken out of the 666 mailbox. Opening the envelope reveals the GLORF spell.
Spell Lab (2)
- Putting the SNAVIG scroll into the spell checker makes completes the spell book. On the way to the monastery, we pass by the GUE entrance, cast GLORF on the rope and take it with.
- Tying the rope to the sword opens the way up to the fantastic Totemization device. After changing the destination to Inquisition... and turning the wheel with the light, this extraordinary machine however looses some of its touch. Pull the lever and enjoy totemization in full color.
- Landed inside the monastery, we find the Lucy Totem. Outside the monastery the Middle Hammer of the secret Frobozz Electric message system can be taken with. Inside again, the metal man knocking on the second time tunnel enjoys a sudden speed up when the lever is pulled. This actually results in the loss of his beloved hammer. After replacing it with the hammer from outside, the man again is able to hit the planks, only this time he breaks them down.
- After casting NARWILE, the tunnels open up and Lucy can be send through it with the WASTARD spell.
Past Port Frozzle
- Inside the bar, Lucy takes the Cards and smashes the fly with the four card which thereafter is the five card. With this little bit of cheating, the mathematics puzzle can be easily solved (just remember what you learned in school).
The strip game against Jack is more or less luck, but it seems he uses always the same combination. With the Cube Of
- Foundation Lucy enters the castle and places it on the designated spot. The next stop is Hades, which can be reached through the Totemizer or by the usual ways (although the Totemizer is more fascinating).
- After set off by Acheron we cast SNAVIG on him, move on to the two headed beast and take his working card. Inside Hades lies the Borgmoid Totem and the third time tunnel. After casting NARWILE, the tunnels open up and the Griff can be send through it with the WASTARD spell.
- In the beginning the Griff can accesses only a single "island". After pushing the claw, parts of the dragon come out of the water. On another island in a box, a Rubber Puppet and a Rubber Boat are found. On another island lies a Pump.
- The two rubber things have to be placed in the dragon's nostrils and have to be pumped up. Griff can now enter the dragons mouth. Inside he takes the golden tooth and the Coconut Of Quendor. Someone or something throws up a rope. Since we are nice and altruistic Adventurers, we give it a shot and fix the rope to one of the dragon's teeth. After hearing the guy inside plunge to death, we take the rope again and place the coconut inside the rubber boat. After leaving the dragon, the rope has to be fixed to the rubber boat. Again inside the dragon, it's high time to blow up this annoying rubber man, which will take the coconut with him. Quickly Griff has to leave the dragon and is able now to collect the coconut. Back in the Castle the coconut is placed at the designated place.
- Already collected two of the three artifacts, we go back to the Dungeon Master's Lair and send the Borgmoid through the time tunnel.
The White House (2)
- Without any kind of brain but brute strength instead the Borgmoid rips away the wooden plank from the entrance to the white house, as well as the flickering torch close to the house.
- Inside, downstairs we collect some Grue Eggs, go up again and cook them in the pot with the heating help of the flickering torch.
- After again (and again and again ...) being downstairs, the Borgmoid gives ample proof of his aiming qualities by throwing the boiled egg at the opening. He jumps towards it and encounters what has to be the Borgmoid's room 101 (a.k.a most horrible nightmare): a chess game.
- Since it's late and the Borgmoid has no brains at all, we take the plank and just break up the whole stuff. With the Skull Of Yorrick in hands the Borgmoid enters the castle, places the skull on the blablablabla... and the Showdown begins.
- Locked up in a prison cell and only wearing our fantastic letter opener, we terrorize a little bit our neighbor Jack through the air fence. After he gave us a scroll the opener does proves worthy by unscrewing the fence. We take the Scroll and the paper on the wall. Using the scroll on the cell door creates a lock. Soon after pushing the paper underneath the door and taking extensive use of the fabulous letter opener, a cell key comes to sight. It does not only look pretty old it also opens the cell door.
- At the control panel left of the cell, we open the door to Jack's room (32-AA) and are brought to the highest point in Port Frozzle. In the castle we take the three artifacts and cast the scroll the Enchantress gave us on our spell book. From now on every spell is reversed.
- The guards tent is easily closed with the VORZER spell. In front of the tower the MARGI spell reveals a purple fence. The electricity is shut off by unplugging the (guess) the purple plug. Cut in two with the all mighty elven sword, the fences can be passed.
- The skull is placed at the box at the bottom of the tower, the cube is put into the cubic hole and the coconut is set on the right shell at the top. The whole thing is balanced out with the lamp and after climbing up once more, the final spell is cast (listen to the Dungeon Master).
- Voilą, a new Dungeon Master is born.
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 00:22:53 -0600
Please post a walkthrough of ZORK: Grand Inquisitor