By Al Giovetti
A Mind Forever Voyaging
- You are the first sentient computer, awakened from a simulation mode that you've been in for some twenty years to learn that you are a computer called PRISM. The leader of the complex is Abe Perelman, who is the only human that you will deal with. You are told that you are now ready to begin a project to simulate what the country would be like if a certain socio-economic plan is implemented. There are not too many puzzles as such in A Mind Forever Voyaging, hence this solution is in narrative form rather than step by step as with most games.
- The game has three parts and an Epilog. Part I is an introduction in which you go on your first simulation. In Parts I and II, the name of the game is to explore and record. Before you leave, Perelman's associates will give you a list of the things you are to accomplish. Basically, you need to visit various locations, record what you observe there, and bring the record back to Perelman, When you successfully return the information that Perelman needs, you are sent on the next part. There is much text associated with the extensive map of Rockvil during the periods of 2041, 2051, 2061, 2071, and 2081. Initially, however, you can only venture to 2041.
- There are four mode which you may enter or go to:
You may see, hear, or speak in this mode.
1. PRISM project control center (PPCC)
2. research center rooftop (RCRO)
3. Dr. Perelman's office (PEOF)
4. PRISM facility cafeteria (PCAF)
5. maintenance core (MACO)
6. World News Network feed (WNNF)
- Library mode:
Follow the instructions.
- Interface mode:
Interrogate and direct other interface devices, such as the HVAC. Data is found in the library mode. The ventilation must be turned off in the maintenance core when the saboteurs enter.
- Simulation mode:
Enter you security clearance wheel, and be sure to do the following:
1. Eat a meal in either restaurant.
2. Buy a newspaper at Bodanski Square.
3. Ride public transportation at any tube station.
4. Talk to a government official at the city hall.
5. Buy some clothes at Dunbars.
6. Go to a movie at the cinema.
Try to accomplish these tasks in each of the simulation periods. In later simulations, some tasks cannot be accomplished and there will be new events for you to record, such as the police raid in the dorm, the general decay of the neighborhood, and the skycar factory output.
"Abort" will get you out at any time. Since you alone can see what happens, it is necessary to use the recorder. Be sure to turn off the recorder (record off) as soon as you've recorded what you want, as the buffer isn't overly large. If your buffer is full, return to Perelman. You may need to sleep while awaiting his arrival. The recorder may also be used in communications mode.